How to Make Your Twitter Account Private
Twitter is a popular social media platform where you can communicate with other people using tweets, videos, images, and hashtags. By default, your posts (tweets) on Twitter are made public. If you don't want anybody to see your tweets, you can switch to a private Twitter account. When you make your Twitter account private, only your followers can see your profile and tweets. And you have to manually approve the followers. This article will show you how to make your Twitter account private and what happens when you do that.
Before you private your Twitter account
Before you decide to switch to a private account, there are some important things that you need to know:
When someone wants to follow you, you will get a "New follower request" notification, and you need to approve the follower requests if you want to allow that person to be able to see your tweets.
Only followers who have been approved can see your tweets. And those who don't follow you won't be able to retweet your posts. Besides, only your approved followers can search for your tweets because your tweets won't show up in any Google searches at all.
When your account is private, your Twitter profile will only show your name, profile picture, and your short bio. All of your tweets will now be hidden instead of opening to the public and only approved followers can see or search for them.
Twitter accounts that began following you before you switched to a private account will still have access to your tweets. If you want to keep your account private from certain accounts, you can remove them from your following list.
How to make a Twitter account private on a PC
1. Open a web browser and go to twitter.com.
2. Log into your Twitter account.
3. Click More on the left menu tab.
4. Select Settings and privacy.
5. Click Privacy and safety.
6. Select Audience and tagging in the Your Twitter Activity section.
7. Check the box next to Protect your Tweets.
8. Click Protect to confirm your action.
9. You may need to enter your password to confirm.
How to make a Twitter account private on Android and iPhone
You can also switch to a private account over the Twitter app on your Android and iOS device.
1. Open the Twitter app on your mobile device.
2. Tap on the Settings icon at the top of your screen (it looks like a gear).
3. Tap the back arrow to show the full settings menu.
4. Tap Privacy and safety.
5. Select Audience and tagging.
6. Tap on the slider next to Protect your Tweets to make it green and enable the protected tweet feature.
7. Tap Done.
8. Type your Twitter password to confirm.
RELATED: How to delete a Twitter account
How to Unprotect Your Tweets
If you want to change back to the public account and unprotect your tweets, follow the steps above to get to the Audience and tagging. Then, uncheck the box next to Protect your Tweets to turn off the private account feature.
Before you switch back to a public account, remember to check your current follower requests. If you leave any request unanswered, those accounts will have to send a request to follow you once again. When you unprotect your Tweets, any protected Tweets previously will become public.
How to approve Twitter followers
As mentioned before, you need to manually approve new followers if you want them to be able to see your tweets. Follow these steps to do so:
1. Open a web browser and go to twitter.com
2. Log into your account.
3. Click More on the left menu tab.
4. Click Follower requests.
5. Select Accept or Decline for each request.
1. Open the Twitter app.
2. Tap on your profile icon.
3. Tap Follower requests.
4. Tap the Check or X to accept or decline the request.
Now that you know how to make your Twitter account private. Your tweets won't be available to the public and will only be visible to your approved followers. And those who want to see your Tweets must send you the following request and you have the option to accept or decline.
Leave a reply